Adapted Physical Activity into Municipalities 2013-2015
Finnish Society of Sport Sciences (FSSS) conducted a project called Adapted Physical Activity into Municipalities in 2013-2015. The project was a nationwide development project that’s goal was to advance more equal APA possibilities in seven collaboration municipalities. The project was fourth similar project conducted by FSSS. The previous projects were done in 1997-1999, 2004-2007 and 2007-2009.
The project was targeted for those municipalities with over 10 000 inhabitants that did not yet have an adapted physical activity instructor or that wanted to develop their adapted physical activity services. Municipalities that took part to the three year projects were Orimattila, Loviisa, Mänttä-Vilppula, Kalajoki, Huittinen, Eura, and Alajärvi.
The projects goals were to:
- Enhance collaboration between the APA actors and clarify the responsibilities & tasks between different actors
- Increase the amount of professional APA instructors and secure the quality of instructed sport classes
- Increase the amount of sport groups for persons with disabilities
- Create principals and a foundation for targeting resources for adapted physical activity
- Create long lasting practices and spread good practices throughout each municipality
In addition, the goal of the project was to add knowledge of the current situation of adapted physical activity. There was a lot of collaboration done with other ongoing sport development projects.
The project was funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture.